Kenosha Animal Hospital

6223 39th Avenue
Kenosha, WI 53142



The Severely Abused Chihuahua-Pom Part XIII

After several consecutive evenings of waking up to comfort Honey,I felt as if I was re-living my younger years of when we had two daughters tocheck on. Although I will admit my wife probably did more than her share of thenight duty. Now I would be the one getting up in the middle of the night andalthough tiring, at least there weren’t any diapers to change.

We continued to keep Honey in a Pack and Play at the base of ourbed during the night and the frequency of her episodes gradually decreased overthe next month.

We also noticed some of her soreness had returned after her painmeds were discontinued, but this also lessened with time.

She was starting to get better every day and the changes that wewere seeing in the nine months since she was rescued never failed to amaze us. Honeywas starting to act as if she was reliving her puppyhood, sometimes a bitmischievous with her antics, but most often just hilarious. She was still tooactive during her moments of excitement, beyond what I considered safe for thecomplete healing of her right leg. In light of this I made the decision that ifthis didn’t change I would take her back to the clinic to place a soft bodycast on her to protect her from another injury. However, it was also importantto wait at least twelve weeks after her reconstruction surgery so she could maintainnormal range of motion of her knee joint while it was healing.

If needed, I would likely place a support bandage on both hindlegs similar to what I fashioned in the past, even though her left femur andknee reconstruction surgeries were completely healed. With the heavy snowstorms expected this winter, it would also provide her with some additionalprotection.

I would continue her twice weekly laser treatments up until thepoint of replacing the cast since the laser would not be able to penetrate the bandagematerial.        

Thirteen weeks after her surgery, Honey’s activity continued toescalate whenever she became excited and often as a result, she would appear tohave some discomfort for a period following each of these incidents.

One week before Christmas, I made the decision that I would place Honeyin a soft cast to restrict her for a two to three month period, hoping thatthis would allow her to complete her healing.  

As my wife drove us into the office, Honey sat quietly on my lapand for the first time didn’t fuss as was typical; she seemed to finallyunderstand that she didn’t need to fear leaving the safety of our home and wascalm as we walked into the office. She still didn’t care for the preanestheticinjection but relaxed once it was administered. Anesthesia was uneventful and Iwas able to get a full set of radiographs. After completing her physicaltherapy and laser treatment, I placed the soft cast on her. She recoveredquietly in my arms and by early afternoon she was alert and able to get aroundas usual, despite having to adapt once again to her body cast.

I’ll bring Honey’s story up to date with the next part.

William T. Carlisle, DVM